- 5 Nov 2019
How to know if your brake pads need to be replaced
One of the most important safety features of your vehicle is the brakes. And the heart of it all is the brake pads. Brake pads, an important part of the braking system, begin to wear when approaching the end of their life cycle. But experts say that it is good to replace them every 50,000-80,000 kilometers.
Signs of Worn Out Brake Pads
In time, brake pad wear out and can pose a danger on the road. To find out whether or not your brake pad need to be replaced here are simple clues that can help you out.
- Loud shrieking or squeaking sounds every time you hit the brakes. Brake pad don’t often make sounds because its surface is made of rough edges. In time, parts of your brake pad get scratched off.
- The thickness of brake pads. when they get thinner to the point you cant see at least a quarter inch on the thickness when brakes pads have been pressed towards the rotor, then it’s time to change the pad
- Screeching sharp sound when the brakes have been pressed. This is because the brake pads are totally worn out; and that remaining part of the metal on the pad touches the rotors thus making that sound.
- Pressing the brake pedal significantly to the lowest, or sometimes when you find out that you need to press the brake pedal several times to stop the car is a sign that brake pad are worn out and needs to be replaced immediately.
- Car veering off the course when brake pedals have been engaged is a sign that the pads are worn out unevenly, making one side to brake while the other resisting.
Simple Things You Can Do to Prolong Brake Pads Life Span
- Use low gear. Use of engine braking is probably the most important especially driving downhill terrains, use of low gears helps brake pad not to wear and overheat
- Don’t overload your vehicle. The heavier your vehicle is, the harder your brake pad work to put your car to a stop.
How does it work?
Depending on the type of car you drive, brake pad can be installed on all four wheels. They are made of metal, ceramics, and carbon fiber, which makes them extremely durable. It should also be noted that they are used only when you press the brake pedal.
The brake pad are mounted on the calipers and, when you press the pedal, they put pressure on pads, which then presses on the brake rotors. After a certain period of use, the plates get worn out, especially due to the contact with the rotors, and it becomes necessary to replace them.
Our advice? It’s easier to use a professional auto service when buying new braking pads. The more you know about them, the easier it will be to choose the best ones.